11 December, 2005

The book is done!

Just came back from PS and Bugis not too long ago...yup..doing shopping alone again...Well, not shopping exactly, went to the Bugis gift shops at 3rd level and Spotlight in PS to source for a suitable and cheap box to contain the wedding guestbook which I've finally finished making!=)

In the end, the boxes sold at Spotlight are over my budget...range from $7.90 to $12 plus for a plain and simple box...and not in really good condition also( folded edges..scratches etc.) Hence not only are they over my budget, the prices dun even justified the quality...left the place and headed towards Bugis...feeling that I've made a wasted trip ( well, not exactly wasted trip..at least I know now that Spotlight dun sell cheap and nice boxes hehe.)

In bugis, after some thorough searching for a suitable, nice and cheap box, I've finally settled on a $4.50 pink-purple-flowery box. That's the cheapest that I've found that is of the size which I wanted. =)

After I got home and had my dinner, I took out the guestbook and tried if it fits well in the box. And Ta-Da! (Grinning happily) The book does fit really well in the box...phew! Whatmore, the colour scheme I used for the guestbook is made up of white, pink and purple....and hence these colours matched well with the box too...haha...

As for the guestbook which I've spent days making, I think it came out better than what I've imagined =) though I think my craftmanship could have been better. Anyhow, on the whole, I was pretty satisfied with the book...being the very first wedding guestbook which I've made to sell, I think that was a good start which gives me the push to explore the possiblities of making even better-looking books...(haha well...perhaps there are the demands...) Now I talked so much...Scar-ly when the client sees the book, she dun like then jia-lat liao....

To conclude, The cost price of making the book is about $20 including the box...and if my selling price is $50...I'm earning $30 only. Well, that's not alot of money...but I enjoyed the whole process of turning nothing into something...and I guess that's also the reason why I like packaging design the most in my course of study. The process of sourcing, measuring, cutting and glueing up different materials to make into a useful product....that's alot of satisfaction ...even if the end-product may not look good, I've always thought that 用心做出来的东西。。。都不会太丑。

Will post up pictures of my finished book tomorrow..currently it's night time and the light condition is not too good to take good pictures =)