05 September, 2006

My Biennale's experience

Without knowing it...I had actually started working as an exhibition site officer(eso) for the Singapore Biennale for 3 full days now... I would say...so far so good?

I was posted to Tanglin Camp (A place previously used for military functions). It's a very, very wulu and quiet place surrounded by vegetation and more vegetation and only vegetation!!! Haha...although the place is pretty inaccessible and filled with lots of insects, I dun have much complaints about the place really(except that it can get really hot in the afternoon), it's a different kind of experience...and I have always liked quiet places as opposed to crowded ones.

Well...you must be wondering what am I suppose to do in such a wulu place yea? Hahaha...well well...basically I must admit the job is kind of "zuo bo"...hehe. Things like providing information and help to visitors and artists...ensure the security of artworks like refrain visitors from touching blar blar...hmm...to sum it up, it's to make sure every visitor will have a pleasant viewing experience! Haha.

The past 3 days were the vernissage period which only opened to the press and invited guests and hence the influx of visitors were quite low. Therefore, it provided me with the time to walk around and view the different exhibits. I must say...some of the works are really interesting!! Perhaps it's comtemporary art...hence it's no longer just standing in front of paintings and trying to understand what the artworks mean. Some of the artworks involve the visitors to participate to really get a feel of it...

In one of the installation art, the artist bored holes in the ceilings with ladders leading up to the holes. When you climb those ladders and pop your head up, you will be surprised by what you see! One moment, you'll see small fishes swimming around you and the people at the second storey of the building will actually see your head in a fish tank haha. Another moment, you'll be amazed that you are in a jungle environment with surrounding plants, a small seal at the far end and beautiful reflections on the water! Wow...and I actually thought that it was a piece of black glass which caused the reflections....but it's real water! Ahh...nice (thumbs up=))...just like Alice in Wonderland...haha...

Another work, you walk into this dark room with a microphone standing in the middle. When you speak into the microphone, the room will be lighted up and in front of you, you'll see an audience of girls with excited expressions, cheering and screaming for you!! Haha...for those people who wanna join the project superstar 2 coming up soon...it's a good place for you to practise cos you'll feel like a star!


Just pay 5 bucks and you'll be able to get to 4 sites which include Tanglin Camp, City Hall, Singapore Art Museum and National Museum to view the exhibits! ( for staff, we have free unlimited access to all areas hehe.) Personally, I think 5 bucks alone is already worth the visit to Tanglin...serious. Afterall, it's a biennale which means for such a large-scale exhibition to happen again...we prob have to wait for another 2 years. ( if there's the money?)

Schedule of my working shifts.

Mon- off day
Tue- 1pm to 6:30pm
Wed- off day
Thurs- 9am to 6:30pm
Fri- 9am to 9:30pm! ( aww...fri used to be my favourite day of the week)
Sat- 9am to 6:30pm
Sun- 9am to 6:30pm

Wow...as you can see..all my weekends are taken up..haha...but nvm la...I love being busy! ( Contrary to what most would have believed...haha.) The rest of the people working at that place are easy-to-talk-to...most are either tertiary students or graduates like me in the midst of looking for a perm job...one of them used to study in tjc as well...my senior! haha...

wah..quite late liao...gotta go and sleep! I'm having afternoon shift later in the day. ^-^