09 December, 2007

This is Utterubbish.

Yesterday, a sat, was quite a fruitful day spent with shu rong =) We went to the city hall building to view an exhibition held as a feature event of the Singapore Design Festival 2007 named as " Utterubbish - a collection of useless ideas ". Hahaha, yes... it's an exhibiton which invites you to view "rubbish" ... to see how "rubbish" can be turned into great ideas to encourage us to use less. Haha, I totally love the humour they incorporate into the name of the exhibition!

As usual, I had brought out a camera with uncharged batteries. Haha, well... I didn't charge them the day before because I had thought that probably photography would be prohibited in the exhibition area and that maybe my uncharged batteries would allow me to at least capture some pics if photography is allowed. End up, I didn't notice any signs on photography except for food... well, I managed to take some pics on just ONE exhibit before my camera's batteries died off...hahaha.

Here's just one example to give you an idea of what the exhibition is about.



In this project, the designer had brilliantly turned the japanese fans into some sort of a cover to the energy-saving lightbulb which only works when it detects movement.

There were many more other examples on how designers from different creative disciplines, explored themes like eco-design to create a sustainable future. I guess after the exhibition, one may take a different view of what 'rubbish' is to them and give more thoughts to the things we throw away conveniently.



I purchased the bag above at the merchandise area of the exhibition. Well, not exactly cheap to say ($15) considered it's made of canvas material ...but I suppose it can be recycled. What I like is the prints on the bag... the juxtaposition of random items and the irregular ink patterns which create a 'faded' feel ...combine with a "tattered and torn".... "very poor" image ...hahaha.

We left the exhibition at about 6pm... and unknowingly, the two of us had actually spent about 3 hours walking and viewing from exhibits to exhibits. We had initially planned to visit the national musuem as well cos I read that the japanese artist who did the installation of fish tank, forrest, seals etc.... in tanglin camp and hermes during the biennale last year, had a new installation set up in national museum. However, after 3 hours of walking around without rest...both of us were somewhat tired and hungry already ... and seeing that the national musuem requires a certain length of walking distance from city hall... we decided to head to marina square and suntec for dinner and shopping instead. The installation we'll view another day since it's available till march next yr =)

After dinner, we headed to the converse store at suntec to get myself a new pair of canvas shoes to 'replace' my 'infamous' red shoes which I've worn consistently for 2 years and is about to fall apart anytime soon with holes, wear and tear all around hahaha. Once again, I've no other choices but to purchase another pair of children shoes because the smallest size of the adult shoes is too big for me . Aiiii...That's really very sad...only 3 places that I know of sell affordable size 3 shoes/heels here. Pretty shoes which I eye on are usually can see cannot wear. 人长得矮就算了, 为什么脚也偏偏这么小。。。脸却那么大!!!




Ta-da! Hahahaha... yea the above is my newly-bought pair of shoes and according to converse website...it's shoes for kids age 4-8 years old ...hahahaha! Omg...I didn't realise I was that " under-developed " until now....haaaaa. I was deciding between buying the plain-coloured ones or that which was the only-patterned children shoes on display. I ended up getting the pattern-designed shoes with skulls, keys and heart-shaped locks painted all over (which seems like some kind of pirates of the caribbean theme haha) because I wanted a change from my plain-coloured red shoes. I think it's not that bad (otherwise I wouldn't have purchased) when you see the real thing... from far it actually look like some camouflage patterns or dots of paints and i think the grey base colour would be able to match my bottoms better ;)