23 November, 2007

Something about logo design

And so the previous post I was saying that I was going through an idea drought period when it came to designing logo for a client. Well, that was actually a client who had approached me to design a logo for his swim school earlier this year ...but unfortunately, he splitted with his partners and had now found new partners to set up his business. He came out with a new name for his company and requested that I design a new logo for him.

It's a bit tough and tricky because I'll be designing logo for a swim school yet again for the same client.... and there's not much change in the concept. And so... I'll have to work harder in the process of churning out ideas...being careful not to replicate whatever thoughts or similar designs which I had previously produced for him.

The idea drought drove me to look up for swim videos in you tube. Hahaha...and so all of a sudden, I was sitting in front of the computer for hours, looking at videos of the olympic games ...observing swim strokes of Alexander Popov, Ian Thorpe and others ... the rapid body movements, the splashing water... paused, rewinded and sketched on my draft papers when I saw something that inspire...



The logo on the top was the first logo which I had designed for the client earlier this year before the split, the bottom one is the new logo which I've just designed for him. Well, I've always thought the first logo (top) which I had designed earlier this year... wasn't good enough ... looking at the logo myself gives me the kind of 'empty' feeling ... it's like you know it could have looked even better... yet you can't figure out what exactly is not right. And so when I received the call about his split and that I'm to design a new one for him ... I'm actually somewhat happy (sounds weird) because that's a second chance for me to prove that I can do much better.

Now, looking back at the old design and comparing with the new one, I think I can give myself a pat on the shoulder =) The new design does seem to look better in my opinion (I feel better too). And by comparing, it makes me realise what's not so right with the first logo ... it does seem to look abit stretched horizontally and not so well-balanced as compared to the new logo which seems more complete in a way.

Strange huh... there are some things we just don't see it or just don't seem to figure it out when we are involve in it at that moment... they are like some blind spots ... and you only come to realise it when it's over (Much like love relationships). I guess that's what they called " time will tell ... "

Hmm.