29 March, 2009

Earth Hour 2009

Can you spot the differences?



Today 28th March at 8:30pm, I was at the Marina Barrage roof top to witness the moment when lights from the city's buildings went off and plurged into darkness for 60 minutes, in support of the Earth Hour global movement. It was not as 'spectacular' as I have hoped to see...but nonetheless, an effort that is worthy of encouragement. I have read about the criticisms of Earth Hour, questioning about its practicality in fighting against climate change by having cities from all over the world to have their lights switched off for an hour. Well, my stand is simple... the words from the spokesman of WWF make sense to me. It is not about calculating the total amount of carbon dioxide that is reduced or the total amount of energy that is saved within that hour when lights are switched off... it is about sending off a message when people from all over the world unite to give their supports.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1725947,00.html
The above is an 2008 article from the Time magazine about this movement and words from the spokesman of WWF.

Somehow, it really warms my heart when I watched the Earth Hour 2009 video ( I like the song too!) and looking at random pictures from the movement... the things people can do when they come together as one.